Key Points to Medication Management
Key points to remember regarding administering medication:
- Only documented staff who have been trained and oriented to your medication policies can give medications to children.
- There must be a start and stop date for each medication. You should only give the medication for the duration of the illness. Medications should be given “as needed.”
- Return any unused portion to the family.
- Read all labels carefully!
- Parents should give written consent before you give any child any medication.
- Non-prescription medications also require family consent, such as antihistamines, non-aspirin fever reducers / pain relievers, decongestants, ointments for dry skin or diaper area, and sunscreen.
- You may not mix medications in formula or food unless you have written directions to do so from a health care provider.
- Prescription medication should be in the original prescription bottle or packaging.